Frequently Asked Questions



A: Half time: 6 credit hours for Spring and Fall and 3 credit hours for Summer.
A: Yes, at all times. However, there are some exceptions. Please contact the Student Employment Office at 505-277-3511 or to determine eligibility.
A: Students may work a maximum of 8 hours per day. Students must take at least a 30-minute meal break for every six hours of continuous work. Student employees are due a fifteen-minute rest period within every four hours of scheduled continuous work. Employees and their supervisor should agree, in advance, on the timing of rest periods.
A: Immediately report it to your supervisor and will report it to Employee Occupation Health Services at 505-277-8043. In an emergency contact UNM Police Department at 505-277-2241 or 911.
A: Select yes on Question 31: Are you interested in being considered for work-study?
A: The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is a form completed by current and prospective college students in the United States to determine their eligibility for student financial aid.
A: You can check to see if you have workstudy by going onto you’re>click on enter Loboweb>Select Finical Aid Tab> select Overall Status of Your Financial Aid. Here you will find your workstudy type (state or federal funds) and the total amount of your award.
A: There are plenty of jobs for you! You can apply for student employment position on UNMJobs or Off-Campus Employment (
A: When you go into a job position in UNMJobs, if it says Student Employment under “Student Type”. It is a Student Employment position and you do not need work-study for this job. If you go into the Off-Campus Employment Jobs link, all jobs posted are student employment jobs
A: 70/30 Financial Aid split is for accounting purposes only. The student is awarded “x” amount of money and each time the student is paid biweekly. The full amount will be deducted from the initial award. Then financial aid accounting charges the department 30% that was initially paid upfront by Federal or State Work-study.
A: There is a form on our website ( that you can use to track your own work- study remaining balance. Please notify your supervisor of your work study remaining balances or if you have any questions or concerns.
A: Federal regulations governing student financial aid require that an institution develop standards to measure academic progress toward a degree. All students will be monitored for financial aid Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) whether or not financial aid was applied for or received during any academic period in which the student was previously enrolled. You will not be eligible for financial aid if you do not meet the financial aid SAP requirements. Student academic progress is reviewed at the end of each academic year for programs at least two years in length. For programs shorter than two years in length academic progress is reviewed at the end of each semester. Satisfactory academic progress is reviewed each semester for students who are within 23 credits of the maximum time frame allowed. For students not meeting the minimum standards financial aid will be not be disbursed. For more information about requirements visit: here
A: UNMJobs is the universities job and career website where people can create search for a wide variety of jobs within the University of New Mexico. Link:[0][id]=255&cfdd[0][options][0]=1918. All you need to do is create a profile and search for student jobs until you find a job you like. Click the apply now button and follow the steps through the application process.
A: The Employee Tab can take up to 5 days after your official start date to become available. Keep checking to see if you are able to add it or if it populates on its own. If it has been more than 5 days, contact Student Employment at 505-277-3511 or
A: It typically takes 5 days from your given start date for the direct deposit to become accessible. If you are trying to access it after 5 days and are still not gaining access call Payroll at 505-277-235
A: Form I-9, officially the Employment Eligibility Verification, is a United States Citizenship and Immigration Services form. Mandated by the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, it is used to verify the identity and legal authorization to work of all paid employees in the United States.
A: No, you may not use a copy or fax in a copy of your documents. As this is a federal document, you must bring in original documents to show proof you are eligible to work in the United States. Please see a list of acceptable documents at
A: Form W-2 is an Internal Revenue Service tax form used in the United States to report wages paid to employees and the taxes withheld from them. Employers must complete a Form W-2 for each employee to whom they pay a salary, wage, or other compensation as part of the employment relationship. UNM Payroll disburses this form yearly. See for more information or call 505-277-2353.
A: Form W-4 is an Internal Revenue Service tax form completed by an employee in the United States to indicate his or her tax situation to the employer. The W-4 form tells the employer the correct amount of tax to withhold from an employee's paycheck. This form can be accessed on Lobo Web under the Employment tab: >Login>Employee Life > LoboWeb > Tax Forms> Form W-4 Employee’s Withholding Certificate. See for more information or call 505-277-2353.
A: A two or three job memo is needed if a student is working more than one or two jobs on campus. This is an agreement between departments that they will share the student’s hours. 28hrs per week between all positions for domestic students and 20hrs per week between all positions for international students.
A: An FTE memo is for graduate students who have a position with Graduate Studies and with Student Employment.